According to the CDC, just over 1 in 10 people have diabetes. That means most of us know at least one person suffering from the disease. This month, National Diabetes Month, AFSPA encourages you to bring attention to diabetes by focusing on prediabetes and preventative measures.
According to the CDC, more than 1 in 3 U.S. adults, 88 million people, have prediabetes. However, the majority don’t know they have it.
That number may be intimidating, but there is good news. By making small, healthy, lifestyle changes, it is possible to prevent type 2 diabetes and even reverse prediabetes.
Here are some helpful tips from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases on how to manage prediabetes and prevent diabetes:
- Take small steps
- Making changes to your lifestyle and daily habits can be a challenge. Start small and remember that setbacks are normal and do not mean that you have failed. The key is to get back on track as soon as you can.
- Move more
- Try to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity, 5 days a week. Start slowly by breaking it up throughout the day, and limit your time spent sitting.
- Choose healthier foods and drinks most of the time
- Pick foods that are high in fiber and low in fat and sugar. Your plate should include a balance of vegetables, protein, and carbohydrates. Choose water over sweetened drinks.
- Lose weight, track it, and keep it off
- You may be able to prevent or delay diabetes by losing 5 to 7 percent of your starting weight.
- Seek support
- By making a plan, tracking your progress, and getting support from your health care professional and loved ones, you can be on track to reverse prediabetes.
- Stay up to date on vaccinations
- The COVID-19 (booster shot, if eligible) and flu vaccines are especially important for people who may be more likely to get very sick from COVID-19 or the flu, such as people with diabetes.
How AFSPA Can Help:
Livongo-Remote Diabetes Monitoring Program
The Livongo-Remote Diabetes Monitoring Program empowers those with diabetes to live a better life. You will receive personalized support through a cellular-enabled meter, mobile app, and personalized interventions to help you make better decisions about diabetes management. This program is offered at no cost to eligible FSBP members. Eligible candidates will be contacted and asked to participate in the program. Participation is voluntary and includes:
- Real-time interventions by Certified Diabetes Educators
- Transfer your data directly to your provider via the meter
- Personalized tips with each blood glucose check
- Unlimited blood glucose test strips and lancets
- Livongo glucose meter tracks strip usage and prompts members to reorder supplies
- Strip reordering right from your meter
- Automatic uploads (no more paper logbooks)
For more information contact 800-945-4355 or visit Livongo’s website at get.livongo.com/FSBP.
Digital Coach Programs
A digital program with an online coach can help you stay on track to preventing prediabetes.
- Log on or register for “Aetna’s secure member website”
- Look for the “Stay Healthy” icon, select “Discover a Healthier You” and proceed.
For full benefit details for this program, please see the FSBP Brochure,Section 5(h) Wellness and other Special features.